- 'Creation isn't a theory', he says. 'The fact that God created the universe is not a theoryâ€”it's true. However, some of the details are not specifically nailed down in Scripture. Some issuesâ€”such as creation, a global Flood, and a young age for the earthâ€”are determined by Scripture, so they are not theories. My understanding from Scripture is that the universe is in the order of 6,000 years old. Once that has been determined by Scripture, it is a starting point that we build theories upon. It is within those boundaries that we can construct new theories.'
- 'To accept the entire evolutionary model would mean one would have to reject Scripture. And because I came to know Christ through Scripture I couldn't reject it.'
Wise took over as the head the Center for Theology and Science at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary replacing William Dembski in April of 2006 . Wise had been director of Bryan College's Center for Origins Research. Russell D. Moore, dean of the School of Theology and senior vice president for academic administration said (referring to several changes):
- "We need to train Southern Baptist pastors to equip young people to engage Darwinism from elementary school on. We also need to train Southern Baptists to recognize Darwinist thinking in ways that are subtle that they don't even recognize."
Speaking of his book , Faith, Form, and Time1 (see Books, below), Wise says:
- "I'm not trying to convince people of the truth of this position." "It's not a decision of the mind but of the heart.
- "It's a decision you make with the interaction of the Holy Spirit." "It's by faith that we understand worlds were framed by the Word of God."
- "Since he is truth and is uncompromised by sin, God is not only the sole eyewitness of the past, but he is also the only fully reliable witness,"
- Faith, Form, and Time: What the Bible Teaches and Science Confirms About Creation and the Age of the Universe. ISBN 0805424628
- Something from Nothing: Understanding What You Believe About Creation and Why (Truthquest)