EvoWiki is now a project of the
We are moving all content to RationalWiki.
See the for details! .
Darwin recanted on his death bed
- This claim is false. It was fabricated by a devout person named Lady Hope, and those Creationists who propagate this claim are apparently unaware of, or unconcerned with, the fact that Darwin's children (who were uniquely in a position to know) have affirmed that Lady Hope's story is false in all particulars.
- Even if this claim were 100% true (instead of being 100% false), it wouldn't matter. The theory of evolution is not accepted by real scientists because Darwin said it; rather, the theory of evolution is accepted by real scientists because it explains the data better than any other theory which has yet come to light.
- Creationist think-tank Answers in Genesis agrees that this claim is likely false, and is first on their list of arguments that should not be used.
Fallacies contained in this claim
- Suppressed Evidence (Blatantly false claim)
- Appeal to Authority (It's Darwin's theory, and even he didn't believe it in the end!)
- Irrelevancy (Lacks any implications for truth of evolutionary theory)
- Yates, Simon, 1994. The Lady Hope Story: A Widespread Falsehood. 
- Clark, Ronald W., 1985. The Survival of Charles Darwin: A Biography of a Man and an Idea. Weidenfeld & Nicholson.
- Yates, Simon, 1994. The Lady Hope story. 
- Clark, Ronald W., 1985. (See above)